The Chamber of Agriculture
and Forestry has been concerned with the use of wood as
fuel since the 1980s. It is involved with the development of local and
renewable energy sources since 1980, working in co-operation with the Styrian Energy Agency. It has been able to make the most of
this mountainous farming region (60 % woodlands, many wood-processing
industries, harsh climate) by creating a dynamic wood-fuel chain. 103 district
heating networks have been established with the help of technical and financial
partners. Their output amounts to more than 143 MW.
- Studies on fuel conditioning.
- Feasibility studies of district heating networks.
- Assistance in project work and design.
- Information and public relations.
- Participation in the foundation of two partner organisations
. Biowärme (in
collaboration with the federation of farming co-operatives and the
« Credit Agricole ») :
implementation and operation of the large networks ;
. Ökoenergie Steiermark : federation of heat producers.
Region of operation and
fields of application
- District heating networks.
References and publications
- Overall study of the Styrian rural district
- Small chip-wood boilers and log-woodboilers.
- Short rotation forest.