The Netherlands Energy Research
Foundation (ECN) is an independent organisation for research, development,
policy studies, provision of services and transfer of
know-how in the energy field. ECN is a know-how institute with about 650
employees carrying out assignments for national and international companies,
organisations (e.g. World Bank, Commission of the European Communities) and
governments all over the world. About 30 people are working on biomass
technology. Research and development is carried out in co-operation with
industrial partners to ensure a close connection to market requirements.
- Fluidised bed gasification for biomass CHP production.
- Downdraft gasification for biomass CHP production.
- Pyrolysis of biomass and waste.
- Gas cleaning, tar treatment, tar measurement.
- Fixed bed and fluidised bed combustion.
- Development of new concepts for synfuel production.
- Agglomeration of ash, utilization of ash.
- Mineral material transformation in thermal processes.
- Process and reactor simulation, system assessment.
- Standardization and characterization of biofuels.
- Micro-algae cultivation.
- Process chain analyses.
References and publications
- Gasification of wood waste from
public gardens for CHP production.
- Circulating fluidised bed
gasification experiments at ECN.
- Combined production of chemicals
and biomass with microalgae in a closed photobioreactor.
- Economically optimal production
and allocation of biofuels for transport in the Netherlands.